Chinese Visa Information

Regarding your Chinese visa,you can apply for a Chinese tourist visa at the Chinese embassy/ consulate in your home country and in most Chinese embassy around the world. On the Chinese visa application, it asks for you to list the places in China that you plan to go to. It is very important that you NOT write Tibet on your application or any other Tibetan regions that are found in the Tibet Autonomous Region, Qinghai, western Sichuan or southwest Gansu. If you write Tibet or any Tibetan town or region on your visa application form, there is very good chance that your application will be denied.

It is important to remember that you are free to go to places that you didn’t list on your visa application form. You are not going to be prevented from going to a certain place because it wasn’t listed on your visa application form. I recommend just listing a few of the major cities in china that you are planning to go to, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an,Chengdu or Guangzhou.

Obtaining a Chinese Visa
Instructions on how to apply for a Chinese visa should be available on the website of the Chinese embassy of your home residence or country. Please bear in mind that the visa application process can take several days or weeks. Please allow for sufficient time to obtain your visa prior to travel.
Click here to access a copy of the Chinese visa application form (in English).

Chinese Visa Extension
Visa extensions in the Tibet Autonomous Region are very hard or even impossible to obtain. As far as other extensions, you can get standard 30 or 60 days single entry tourist visas. Fees will vary depending on which country you are from. You can obtain an extension visa in any major city throughout China accept the TAR. Because of this, your visa must be valid for the entire duration of your stay in the TAR. If your visa is going to expire during your stay in the TAR, then we suggest that you get a visa extended for 30 additional days. Otherwise the Tibet Tourism Bureau will not issue you a Tibet Travel Permit. If you are traveling through Amdo and Kham regions, then you can easily get 30 day extensions. The nearby cities of Xining and Chengdu are the best places to obtain visa extensions. Usually it will take 4-5 working days to be completed.

You need to prepare:

  • Two passport photos
  • A letter from your hotel with their official stamp proving that you are residing with them.
  • Your passport